AROMA & FLAVOUR
What are they?
Terpenes are organic compounds that provide aroma and flavour in cannabis and a variety of other organisms. Terpenes are responsible for the aroma and flavours of cannabis and interact with cannabinoids when cannabis is consumed, which has been shown to influences the effects of cannabinoids.
Here are the 10 most common cannabis terpenes:
- Limonene Aroma – Woody, earthy, spicy. Very common, aids in the absorption of other terpenes through the skin.
- Pinene Aroma – Pine smell, woody. Similar, to the smell associated with pine forests.
- Myrcene Aroma – Musky, spicy, citrusy. The most prevalent terpene and often dictates the type of interaction and effect.
- Linalool Aroma – Floral, sugar, citrus. Sedative properties.
- Delta-3-Carene Aroma – citrusy, sweet. Considered to contribute to the dry mouth feeling when consuming cannabis.
- Eucalyptol Aroma – eucalyptus, menthol. Can be applied topically and been shown to have anti-fungal properties.
- Beta-Caryophyllene Aroma – Peppery, woody, spicy. Interacts directly with bodies endocannabinoid system.
- Humulene Aroma – Woody. Found in hops, basil and cloves.
- Borneol Aroma – herbal, woody, balsam like. Chinese doctors have employed it for millennia in acupuncture.
- Terpineol Aroma – smoky, pine. Used in many beauty products to create nice smells.